When someone says that something is “mismatched” what words come to your mind? The first words that I thought of was wrong, or incompatible, but you know what? That isn’t necessarily true, though. What about when it comes to marriage?
So, on Saturday Ruben and I will celebrateÂ our six-year anniversary. I am astounded at how fast time has gone by already. Our marriage was one of those that you hear about on tv, but hardly ever see or meet the couple in real life. When we tell people we met on the internet we are usually faced with the typical oh? or hmm…
These past six years have taught me much about myself and made me even more thankful for my Ruben. He completes me! I am the more free-spirited one, and he is the nerd, he needs help loosening up, and I need help reigning in. We have different tastes in music, movies, and tv shows, but we still find common ground, and sometimes, sometimes I like the things he listens to, Â but don’t tell him I said that 😉
Marriage is not a fifty-fifty relationship it is one hundred percent from both of you. You have to give it your all to make it work! The Lord knew the areas in my life that I needed to be molded and made more into the likeness of Him and my spouse had helped challenge me. Here are Six things that Six years of marriage has taught me:
- Life is not about me it’s about the Lord and how we can Glorify and serve Him together through our marriage and family.
- Contentment When things don’t go my way I need to accept that and not get mad. This is still a painful lesson for me!
- Listen more I love when we get a moment to sit down together and listen to each others hearts and what our days entailed. I know that I can take over a conversation sometimes, and I am learning to sit and listen to my husband when he pours his heart out to me.
- Patience is a virtue and one that I am always working on. I am a go-getter, when I want to do something, I do it. Ruben is not, he thinks through things before he acts on them. I am thankful for his patience and have learned much from him.
- Be in the Word daily! When I study the Word, my responses toward my husband and children are more patient and understanding. I am a better wife and mother when I am immersed in God’s Word.
- Respect- How do we talk to our husbands in public and private? Do we build him up, or tear him down? Our words are so powerful! Be careful with how you use them.
When I was single, I had a dream of what the perfect life would be like when I got married. My dream is nothing like reality; it’s better! I am thankful for the Lord and how He intervened in my dreams and made them better than I ever could have imagined. I wouldn’t trade any of it, ever!
Subscribers receive access to my private discord server, Finding November Storyboard on Pinterest, and will be updated FIRST on my current WIP!